Monday, September 23, 2013

True Grit (2010) / Hondo Double Feature [Blu-ray]



The Coens Are Back In The Saddle Again!
In my world, the arrival of any film by the estimable Coen brothers is a welcome sight. But I must admit, I was a little surprised when I heard they were taking on a new version of "True Grit." In a sly way, however, it made sense. I have always felt that the 1969 John Wayne film version underserved the subversively comic masterwork by Charles Portis. I thought that perhaps the Coens were, thus, the ideal pair to bring the cynicism, eccentricity and subtle humor of this fine novel (and underrated American classic) to the big screen. The Coens assembled a big-name cast including Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Barry Pepper and Josh Brolin for this incarnation that manages to be true to both the source novel and the previous film--but isn't really a definitive new vision. However, that said, this "True Grit" is a solidly constructed and very entertaining western that has a lot to recommend it.

Unfamiliar with the story? Probably not, but here's a quick run down. Fourteen year old...





Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment