Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Classic Westerns: 10-Movie Collection



Classic Westerns: 10-Movie Collection
Universal did an awesome job on these movies and putting them in a wonderful collection. There isn't any special features and there is only English audio and no other language and subtitles. There are three disks with four on the first and three each on the last two disks. All movies are in Full frame format. Four of these films were also released as DVD-R and now you can get them as straight DVD with no MOD. All movies quality are great and I did compare to the other releases and I can't see any difference. "Sierra" and "The Virginian" were part of a TCM Vault box sets.

Here are the movies included:
When the Daltons Rode (1940/B&W/81mins)
-Randolph Scott, Kay Francis, Brian Donlevy, George Bancroft, Broderick Crawford, Andy Devine; Directed by George Marshall
Texas Rangers Ride Again (1940/B&W/68mins)
-John Howard, Ellen Drew, Akim Tamiroff, May Robson, Broderick Crawford; Directed by James Hogan
The Spoilers (1942/B&W/87mins)
-Marlene...

Classic Westerns 10 Movie Pack
I am a fairly young guy well at least young enough that all of these movies were released long before I was even born. However, that doesn't prevent me from enjoying them at all. Sci-fi used to be my favorite genre of movies even though I did like and have always enjoyed westerns, but now I would say westerns and classic movies are now my favorite. I collect westerns from all different era's but I have to say the classic westerns like the ones in the 10 pack are by far my favorite. Yes, they are dated compared to today's standards, but somehow I find them more enjoyable. I think the main reasons being is the actors, stories and the character's is what drives the movie instead of the realism and special effects being the focus. The point being is with these western classics you grow to become attached to your favorite actors such as Randolph Scott, John Wayne, Audie Murphy and Joel McCrea which are some of my favorites and this collection has several of my favorites. The quality is...

Do yourself a favor Western fans, buy this DVD
Take my advice if you enjoy westerns of the 40's and 50's (B westerns included) and buy this dvd collection from Universal. I make this recommendation based on:

1) You get ten westerns, many shot on location, with Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico representing the American West. The location shooting provides splendid scenery for the stories these films tell.

2) You get a mix of B program westerns and some "top of the bill" films like "The Spoilers", "Whispering Smith", and "The Virginian". In my opinion, all the movies are entertaining, relatively fast paced (none of the films are over 90 minutes long), and fun!

3) Most important to me, Universal's Home Entertainment division has used excellent source material. These dvds are superior to other bargain films in their visual and audio presentations. No pops and hisses on the sound tracks and no washed out black and white or faded color presentations. In my opinion (again), the films have got to look...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment