Friday, September 27, 2013

Thorne (Scaredycat / Sleepyhead)



Serial Murderers Everywhere! Great Performances Highlight These Adaptations Of A Popular Crime Series
British crime novelist Mark Billingham has created a wildly popular series (nine books so far, I believe) featuring the complicated Detective Inspector Tom Thorne. I guess it seemed inevitable, therefore, that someone would attempt to adapt them for the screen. These television interpretations of his first two novels "Sleepyhead" and "Scaredy Cat" are certainly well constructed and well acted, but they lack a bit of the surprise factor for those that follow this type of entertainment. Oh, blessed serial murderers! Where would popular entertainment be without them? Thankfully there aren't as many in real life as those that populate the pages of detective fiction as well as police procedurals in film and TV. Imagine if there were, they would now outnumber ordinary citizens by a wide margin! I know, especially with "Sleepyhead," diehard fans of the books were upset with the liberties taken with the text. I'm always somewhat pragmatic about these things. I don't require an exact...

Terrific British cop/mystery/thriller
If you are a big fan of British thrillers like George Gently,Wire in the Blood,Rebus, Luther,etal like I am, you will LOVE this Thorne Mystery series. I bought it sight unseen knowing how great the brits do cop procedural and thought it was awesome. Why? Because the characters are complex, the pace is 'slower' than American shows like CSI--but the finish is always richer in my view. Here, you get 2 installments of Detective Thorne solving serial killer murders. Each last about 90 minutes and the great thing about Acorn Media is they always provide closed caption which is very helpful with british accents. I will order the next installment of this show the minute it appears on Amazon.

Nice Surprise!!!
Thorne was a nice surprise for me as I had never seen it or even had heard of it before. I picked it up based on other reviews and I am glad I did.
The stories are well told gripping dramas. The lead detective Thorne is a great character he has more flaws than most and is his own worst enemy.
I like the TV show so much that I am now ordering the books and hope they are as good if not better than the series..

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment